Friday, September 19, 2014

Literacy Stations - Beginning of the Year

Here's a peek at some of the literacy stations we have been doing during the first weeks of kindergarten:


I purchased these foam alphabet puzzles at the Dollar Tree.  I already had the box from a Lakeshore activity.  The kids take turns reaching in and pulling out a letter.  If they need it for their puzzle frame, they keep it.  If they already have that letter, they return it to the box and the next player chooses.


I love these Color the Letter Pages from Teaching Special Thinkers.  They are part of the letter A set which is free to download.  I also purchased the letter G set because they are great practice for recognizing the different versions of "g" and "a."  I save paper by using dry erase pockets and washable dry erase markers.  I put a capital and lowercase page in each pocket since both layers are clear.



I laminated these Play doh mats using my Scotch Thermal Laminator.  I put the capital letter on one side and the lowercase letter on the other side.  They are available from Miss Kindergarten's TPT shop.  I actually purchased mine as part of a fundraiser called Raise the Parr K-1 ELA Bundle.


My kids love these Alphabet Activities: How to Draw by Pam Hyer.  There are two pages per sheet, so they are economical to print.


These Rhyme puzzles were 4.99 recently at TJMaxx and give the kids a fun and easy way to work on rhyming words.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Eilis

3 comments:

  1. Great activities for the kiddos. I always like to see the kids enjoy learning when I sub!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have shared extremely educative activities that a child performs in his kindergarten. All these activities are very useful in learning numbers and alphabets with a lot of fun. You know my daughter goes to a Phoenix kindergarten and I fell that kindergarten is best in our region.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these Literacy Stations and ideas are awesome. But do parents that homeschool their kids really confirm if their kids are actually being taught with right approach? For ideas and the free educational stuff parents should take help from sources like http://www.kidsfront.com/child-short-stories.html.

    ReplyDelete